Saturday, January 8, 2011

My first 10k

I know, some of you might have to read the title of the post a second time....but today I finished my first 10k race. Back in October there was a flyer in Allie's cubby at pre-school about training for a 1/2 marathon in April. I looked at it and thought..ummm no thanks I am NOT a runner. Then the next week at school I talked to the group leader and she said there were all different levels of runners AND walkers, and that I should come to the big run on Saturday. While talking to her, I thought...ok maybe I can do this. There is a group of women in Woodland called the Pacific Coasters that are all training for a 1/2 marathon, and the leader of the pack is a mom of a boy in Allie's class. She gives us training tips and miles to be covered each week, and then there is usually a big run on Saturday at 6:30am. The first group run I went to seemed a little weird, it was raining, cold, dark and all strangers, but once I finished it was a great experience. The peer pressure made me push myself a little and I kinda got hooked. I still don't really train with a group other than the Saturday morning runs since it is hard to coordinate with Allie's schedule and nursing. But Jack (our dog) is a great teammate. He sees my running shoes and is looking for his leash. I started a 4/1 (walk/run) combo and now do a 3/2 (walk/run) combo so I am making progress. Today Geoff, the girls and Grandma Ganne met me at the finish line. Allie thought it was cool to cross the finish line with me and said "Did you win the race Mom?"...not quite but I finished!! I don't think I will be qualifying for the Boston Marathon anytime soon!









Grandma Ganne is always so good about having her camera on hand...thanks for the pics Grandma Ganne!

2 comments:

  1. I love this Jen! So proud of you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awsome Jen! Look at you girl, running a 10k and blogging about it the same day! You never cease to amaze me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete